Monday, December 3, 2012

I Gave All My Money to God

Well, today was a typical shit-tip Sunday. Sundays are usually the worst day of the week. We have one small rush when we first open at 10 (we open an hour earlier), then don't get busy again until about 1:00 when everyone gets out of church. Our menu is probably the biggest menu on the face of the planet. About the size of a small novel. We also now have a kid's menu and now a low-cal menu with the dumbest name ever. Then on Sunday's we have extra food to choose from with the Sunday Brunch menu.

I don't know if the tips suck so bad because everyone gave their money to God and have none left for you, or they figure that 10% is good enough for God, so that (or less) should be good enough for you. The first tip of the day was $6 on $50 something. The next in line was $5 on $48. The worst from a 5-top. Grandpa walked all the way in the back as I was dumping food off a plate to ask me if I had any crayons for his granddaughter. I told him we didn't have any, but I would be more than happy to give him some paper and a pen. I even found a colorful one I thought that she would enjoy. Then he walks up to me later and asks for more, because there was a melt down. I told him I completely understood since, I have 6 kids and 2 granddaughters. They were kind of weird when I greeted them. They all wanted water...no ice. No bread. They all wanted to leave immediately, and all their plates were still on the table. Grandpa asked for his check from another server and then practically threw it at him when he stuck his credit card in it. The other server handed to me, I ran his card and gave it back and thanked them for coming in. Apparently, with 6 kids, I guess I don't need any money. He left me $4 on $68. Nice. Luckily I had a few tables today that left me some decent tips to make up for it, but my overall tip percentage still wasn't that hot. And I was in the same boat as everyone else, other servers were complaining, as well.

Then I had to have my eval today. Why am I always the sick one? I get notes in my file every time about being out sick or injured too much. Granted in 6 years I had a hernia operation, broke my big toe so bad I had to get surgery, car accident and then a bike accident. I also had an asthma flare-up and couldn't stop coughing. I was coughing so hard I was about wetting my pants. I really don't think guests would appreciate me coughing all over their food. In SIX years. Really?  I have called in a few times, but not very often, and when I have I usually find someone to cover my shift. I do have a few health problems...digestive, migraines and Graves Disease, but try not to let it bother me too much and most of the time I come in feeling like crap anyway. I even get guest compliments when I feel like shit. There are people that call in all the time, and last minutes sometimes, but I have been labeled the sick one, so guess that is gonna stick. A-holes. Everything else was good, though. Met expectations on everyone and exceeded expectations on getting along with co-workers and managers. Wish that sick thing would go away, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment